The article will cover five movies which are available on Netflix and are tagged as feminist, or movies with a strong feminist perspective. Women have been fighting for equality since then and as time goes by, more and more women speak up. At present, voices of women are now heard and they are free to speak up but in some countries, women are still silenced.
Nevertheless, the fight of one woman is the battle of womanhood. From merely stories to documentaries, many films are also popping out and tagged as a movie that shows feminism. Netflix has a wide variety of movies to offer, spanning genres and subjects. A lot of these movies have a feminist angle or are critical about the roles women have in society.
5 INTERESTING MOVIES THAT ARE CONSIDERED AS FEMINISM
1. Moxie (2021)- A film directed by Amy Poehler in which Vivian, a quiet 16-year-old, becomes motivated by her mother’s feminist roots and produces an anonymous informal criticizing sexist behavior and misogyny at her high school. This is a movement that can signify that women today, especially the young ones, can save how the world perceives genders as well as it’s roles in the society.
2. The Handmaiden (2016)- an erotic Korean thriller based on the novel by Sarah Waters. Women’s autonomy and sexuality can be drawn in the film. The Handmaiden is not intended to be a feminist film. However, the way it presents and handles topics like female sexuality, domestic abuse, and women’s acceptable behavior puts it on the verge of becoming one.
3. Ladybird (2017)- It is a coming-of-age story about a teenage girl who is trying to find her place in the world. The film explores how Christine (played by Saoirse Ronan) balances her life as she struggles with relationships, family, school and her dreams. The film explores many themes that are difficult to talk about including feminism. This is because it looks at how young women are still fighting for equality in today’s world.
4. Little Women (2019)- In this movie, struggles of women artists as well as its challenges in the journey of life were shown. According to researchers, Liberal feminism, Marxist feminism, Radical and Existentialist feminism is present in the film. It is also important that stories of women should be told by women too and you’ll find out here why.
5. Legally Blonde (2001)- Elle Woods is a woman who was at first seen as someone who is not capable of being a law student because of the way she dresses, the colors she picked, the way she looks. Basically, everything about her made the journey of law school so difficult. Women empowerment was so evident in the film. Since it received a huge applause from the audience, a sequel was produced.